Saturday, May 9, 2009

Socializing Again

We went to visit some friends of ours that we haven’t seen in a while. They have a six month old daughter. I wasn’t sure how I would handle it, but we went anyway. I figured I needed to start getting out and interacting with people again.
Of course the thing I dreaded the most happened. They didn’t know what had been going on with us. I knew they would ask when we were going to have another. I just knew it. I was right. We hadn’t been there five minutes before they asked. My wonderful husband fielded the question. He told them not for a while and then told them we had just lost one. They of course told us the standard, “I’m sorry.” T. (the father of the baby) didn’t say anything more about it. N. (the mother of the baby)had to tell me about a relative of hers that has had three miscarriages and the doctors can’t find a reason for any of them so they just don’t tell anyone when they’re pregnant now. That really helped me a lot! I know she meant well and probably just didn’t know what to say. I guess no one really does. But please don’t tell me about someone having more than one miscarriage. That is so not what I want to hear right now, especially since we haven’t decided if we even want to try again.
Donn says he’s not sure if he wants to try or not. He really likes the idea of having another one. He says that it’ll be up to me to decide. He says it’s my body and we’ll do what I want. We have a while to think about it. We couldn’t start trying until August any way.
I’ve been debating over whether or not I should call my friend who is newly pregnant. I’d like to let her off the hook of having to try to figure out how to break the news to me. But I worry that maybe I shouldn’t call. She’s not past the twelve week mark yet where the chance of miscarriage is greatly reduced. I don’t want it in her head that there’s a chance she won’t be bringing her baby home. Should I wait to call for a few weeks or go ahead and call so she doesn’t worry about how to gently tell me about her pregnancy? I did decide to try calling. I felt I could handle it. She wasn’t home.
My friend Kelly and her family are coming to visit this weekend. I think that will help me to get through the weekend. I don’t mind being around her. She still talks to me the same for the most part. I don’t feel uncomfortable talking with her. It’ll be a good distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment